Sunday, June 05, 2005

It's work, honestly...

I've just returned home from a few days' holiday with my parents in Swansea - which meant a few days walking and lying on some of the most beautiful beaches that I know. Tomorrow is journey time: flight to Nice, then bus to Cannes, then boat to l'Isle St Honorat to the monastery of Lerins. There's been a monastic community there since the beginning of the 5th century. It adopted the Rule of St Benedict in the 7th century, and presently is part of the Cistercian Congregation of the Immaculate Conception. Over Christian history it has been home to the following: St Patrick, St Cassian, Sts Hilary and Caesarius of Arles, and Sts Maximus and Faustus of Rietz. The most famous long-term resident was Vincent of Lerins, whose famous dictum quod ubique, quod semper, quod ab omnibus (to describe orthodox Christian belief: that which has been believed everywhere, always, by everyone) was drilled into me when I first did Christian doctrine as part of my theology degree more years ago than I now care to remember.

The list of famous former residents is a long one and sounds like a name-check for some of the key western theologians of the early middle ages. As for me, I'm going for a meeting of the Liturgical Commission, when we'll spend most of the time locked up in a room, pouring over papers. (Lest you think I'll be having even a slightly nice time!) However, I've booked myself in for an extra night, just to spend time wandering around the island, dipping my toes in the Mediterranean and soaking up the atmosphere. I'm still wondering how many of the seven daily offices I'm likely to get myself along to.

4 Comments:

At 6/05/2005 5:51 PM, Anonymous Simon Sarmiento said...

pouring over papers?? Say it isn't so. Surely not in the 21st century... :-)

 
At 6/05/2005 7:53 PM, Blogger Paul Roberts said...

Oh, I'm afraid so. Not a byte in sight. Mind you, we will be using ballpoint pens, rather than quills.

 
At 6/06/2005 8:36 AM, Blogger charity said...

I am not even going to begin to wonder why the Church of England is sending the liturgical committee to Nice to pour over papers rather than sending them to Bedminster or somewhere....

 
At 6/13/2005 12:20 PM, Blogger Paul Roberts said...

It actually costs the same or less to run a meeting in St Honorat as it does in a centre in Britain (including Bedminster). Travel costs by rail are above pre-booked budget airline tickets, and the daily board is lower too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home