Thursday, June 02, 2005

Greenbelt website

I had an enquiry via alternativeworship.org this morning from someone from North Carolina coming to UK for some sabbatical research. I wanted to direct her to the Greenbelt festival website, so I had a visit - as a GB regular, I go to Greenbelt 'anyway', so rarely look at the site. However, this time I did.

It took me 10 minutes of looking before I found any reference to worship on the newly-designed website. Now I'm quite prepared to admit that this was an accident of my own stupidity, but I was trying, I really was! For a more casual viewer, or a first-time viewer, I'm sure they could easily assume it was not that kind of festival. Maybe it's because I'm a non-linear thinker (I like diagrams, not bullet-point hierarchies), but I normally randomly hit links on the first page to get an idea of a site. The GB site is strictly linear and hierarchical.

OK, you do the test: How long did it take you? How many clicks from the front page? What do you think of the information when you eventually found it?

Maybe it will turn out that I'm stupid after all.

Postscript: I've just tried the test on Sharon, my highly-linear-thinking spouse: Time to find worship=5 minutes; score of content usefulness once found=1/10.

Post-postscript: Whether you find what you're looking for on the website or not, Greenbelt is BRILLIANT! Heaven struggles to surpass it. Be there.

Post-post-postscript: Stephen posted the following comment (but I've had to cut it because part of it gives the game away...): Stephen said...

About 5 minutes too and I'm normally pretty good at finding stuff on web sites. The site map didn't help and in the end found [here's the bit I've edited out: PR]

I kept going because you'd hinted there was something there. If I didn't know then I'd have given up and just emailed someone. Their statement on the contact page "It's often quickest to just send us an email in order to make an enquiry or a suggestion." seems apt.

I can't believe they don't have a search option either.

(Note to future commenters: don't give away the answer in your response, it spoils the test!)

9 Comments:

At 6/02/2005 8:48 AM, Blogger Stephen G said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6/02/2005 9:22 AM, Blogger Brodie said...

I've just booked to go to Greenbelt. Thought I'd take advantage of the church leader ticket for church leaders like myself who've never been. The number on the web site did not work, I sent an email - the GB office made contact and now I'm sorted - but it did take a little perseverance.

 
At 6/02/2005 10:05 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

i did it in about 30seconds but then i know what i am looking for - I have insider knowledge!?

 
At 6/02/2005 10:54 AM, Anonymous richard said...

totally agree, useless navigation, abotu four minutes of focussed look (although it would have been quicker if I'd let myself use my google toolbar)
btw Paul, it took me even longer to find any reference to Greenbelt on altworship.org ;-)

 
At 6/02/2005 4:30 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6/02/2005 4:35 PM, Anonymous maggi said...

specifically looking for "worship" - one minute and two clicks to find out that there is a "worship stream", three more clicks and another 2 minutes to find it ... without giving the game away, why is it billed the way it is? It strikes me as an odd compartment for it...

 
At 6/02/2005 4:36 PM, Blogger icr at psu said...

I must be a very linear thinker indeed - it took me about 5 seconds...

And I don't have insider knowledge!

- Ian R

 
At 6/03/2005 1:05 PM, Anonymous Dave Faulkner said...

I gave up after five minutes and I thought I was pretty intuitive with web navigation, having designed my own site. If I'd been desperate to find it (but I saw no hint on the home page, so imagine if I were a complete stranger to the issue) I'd have Googled the site, but why should I? The design is too busy being cool and not busy enough being helpful.

By the way, good to see one of my old tutors blogging! Greetings from the rabid Methodist! :)

 
At 6/03/2005 4:10 PM, Blogger Dr Moose said...

2 clicks and loading time, so well under 30 seconds I'm afraid! Probably the message that it was hard to find, coupled with 15 or so GB visits has something to do with it!

(Or am I far too tramlined?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home