Friday, May 20, 2005

Monks banned from Kent shopping mall shock!

The Bluewater shopping centre in Kent has banned the wearing of hooded tops, baseball caps and swearing as part of a crackdown on antisocial behaviour - and it seems to be working, with numbers of visitors now going up. Does this mean that our friends from Worth Abbey (of the Monastery fame) will no longer be allowed to do a bit of retail therapy there when the urge to do so becomes overwhelming? (I'm referring to their hooded tops by the way, not any "habit" of wearing baseball caps and swearing...) Are any of the brothers going to try this out? And what if they do? ASBO?

(And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Church Commissioners own the Bluewater shopping centre?)



"I'm sorry Brother James, but after the recent incident at the mall, the Abbey Chapter no longer consider that running an intergalactic army of overwhelming force and brutality is compatible with the Rule of St Benedict..."

3 Comments:

At 5/20/2005 11:04 AM, Blogger Andii said...

Nice to see you up and blogging Paul. I loved the piccy and the caption and took the liberty of pointing it up on my blog at
http://nouslife.blogspot.com/2005/05/monks-banned-from-kent-shopping-mall.html

I must admit I thought that Bluewater was supporting your stipend too!

 
At 5/26/2005 10:22 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Very clever, Paul. :-)

TSK pointed me in this direction, by the way...

 
At 6/03/2005 8:32 PM, Anonymous Dave Faulkner said...

And since they banned the monks, their trading has gone up 23%. Can't have pesky prophetic statements against consumerism after all, can we? Not in one of its cathedrals, no sir.

Oops, did I miss the point? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home