Monday, May 30, 2005

Feeling a bit cross? Shout to the Lord!

I really, really love Jesus. But that doesn't mean that I don't get really annoyed with my Lord at times. Such is the priviledge of all disciples (and OK, he's usually right and somewhere along the line we've got it wrong, but...) This approach is well-enshined in the songs of protest and lament which can be easily found within the psalms. Sadly, we rarely exhibit a similar honesty about our relationship with God in our worship.

If you're feeling really annoyed with Jesus, you might like to try out this song of worship by Marcus Curnow - you know the tune, just go ahead and sing it! If we can't get annoyed with Jesus, what image of him do we really have?

3 Comments:

At 5/31/2005 8:51 AM, Blogger charity said...

It's interesteing, I'm not sure I agree with all this 'get angry with God' stuff - it seems to suggest that we are (a) somehow the centre of all that happens and (b) that God is like our next door neighbour rather than the vast and ungraspable God that I believe God to errr be.
In fact I seem to think i got this idea off you!....

 
At 6/01/2005 1:02 AM, Blogger Rich said...

Charity,

Just read the Psalms. Lots of angst in the Lord's direction there. And it doesn't change our positions at all....

Rich

 
At 6/01/2005 11:26 AM, Blogger charity said...

Rich
Yup, I get the whole preparing our case against God, lament, outcry and anger. I think that is an enriching thing. But there's something in what Paul has written about being 'cross' with Jesus which gives me the impression it's a theraputic exercise in the same way we are meant to realise our anger at our parents or some other sugar coated psychobabble.
Charity

 

Post a Comment

<< Home